Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Birthday train part 2


My dad used to deliver propane to the rural customers in Yavapai county some years ago. I would go with him on occasion, and it was interesting how some people lived so simply, so far away from anyone else.

So my dad, the propane road-warrior, recalled to me how the train had to go uphill on its way to Hillside. He said we could catch up to it and watch it again there. What the heck, I said, and we went on a little oh, fifteen, twenty mile jaunt to Hillside and sure enough, we had just toured the main street (only street) and here came the same train (I think I can I think I can I think I can.....) so we hustled over through an abandoned-looking lot to get a closer view and the engineer blew the whistle for us again and I think I was happier for the boy than the boy knew how to be for himself. (The lot was not abandoned was we thought, but turned out to be part of an operation that made houses out of styrofoam. The guy gave us a little tour and all but he wasn't the best PR guy because I still am not sure it they made just insulation or the whole house. There was metal of various configurations which could have been structural supports and huge sheets of styrofoam which he cut with an electrified wire-neat!- but he said the business wasn't doing so good and he was shutting the place down.)

Heading back to Las Vegas that afternoon, we made the obligatory stop at the Sonic in Kingman, and oh my stars did we see not one but two trains during our stop.

So let's see, the total train tally for the thirteenth birthday weekend comes to

Lego trains 2
other train models 1
trains spotted/stalked 5 (four if you count two viewings of one train)

I make it 8. Eight items of intense interest. Woo Hoo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home